Saturday, November 28, 2009

"Freedom is not free"

As a child, during WW II and just after, I traveled with my parents from New England to California and back again by train across this country twice. I vividly remember the railcars, Pullman or Sleeping, Day Coach or Dining, being full of servicemen on their way to, then from the war. I've often wondered how many of them came home safely. I'm not a veteran (by my definition) but I am an ex GI (06/'59-06/'62). Perhaps being from New England, coupled with my military experience, I'm a bit more outwardly thankful for the sacrifices made by our military "to protect us from all enemies, foreign and domestic", ever since the founding of this "Great Experiment"; "A republic, if [we] can keep it". It is ever thus that "Freedom is not free".

No comments:

Post a Comment